People traveled from around the nation to attend the DC March for Mustangs rally on Thursday afternoon in Lafayette Park with Wendie Malick and Clay Canfield. Canfield opened the rally with his moving ballad “Wild Horses”. The press conference included Hope Ryden, a 40-plus year veteran of the fight to protect the last of America’s wild horses and 12 year old Amelia Perrin who asked for roundups in the west to cease on behalf of the generation who will inherit what we leave behind. March for Mustangs become a five city event when a small group of wild horses took to the streets in Southern California, advocates walked the Las Vegas strip with banners and Los Angeles rallied again following London, the first ever overseas protest for America’s treasured wild horse herds, held in front of the US Embassy.
Following the press conference the group marched past the White House, noting ongoing silence from the Obama administration on the request for a moratorium or suspension on roundups until some basic details (like how many horses are left in the wild) are determined by independent and accredited sources. the world certainly our wild herds. It is time for BLM to work with the public and suspend all roundups!
Ecologist Craig Downer and humane observer, Elyse Gardner, gave the last speeches. The rally then moved to the front of the Department of Interior (DOI) and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) building. The crowd chanted as DOI employees watched with arms folded on the stone steps. Cheers rang out when four mounted police officers rode down C street, apparently to monitor the situation of the peaceful rally’s new position. The police horses stood steadily as banners were held in front of the first equines to join the DC protest, unwittingly on behalf of their wild cousins.
The Speakers today were:
* Clay Canfield, country music singer/songwriter
* Friends of Animals President, Priscilla Feral
* Cloud Foundation Executive Director, Ginger Kathrens
* Author Hope Ryden
* Author R.T. Fitch
* HSUS Staff Vice President, Nancy Perry
* Award-winning Actress and advocate Wendie Malick
* AWHPC Campaign Director, Suzanne Roy and daughter Amelia
* In Defense of Animals Representative, Deniz Bolbol
* Filmmaker and Representative for the Spirit Riders Foundation, James Kleinert
* EWA President, John Holland
* BLM Volunteer, Rob Pliskin
* Humane Observer at Calico, Elyse Gardner
* Wildlife Ecologist, Craig Downer