Please read and add your comments to this article which has been picked up nationwide! read here
- The half-million acre Calico Complex herd management area is the last stronghold of the American mustang and was designated by Congress principally for the wild horses and burros. Millions of head of livestock graze at a cost of $1.35/cow-calf pair/month.
- Overall welfare livestock constitute a net loss of $123 million annually to the American tax payer.
- The scapegoating of wild horses and burros for range deterioration must stop—they comprise only a tiny fraction of animals and wildlife grazing on our public lands.
- Cows graze within a mile of water. In comparison wild horses are highly mobile, moving 5-10 miles from water and grazing on more rugged terrain.
- BLM does not adequately control cattle on the public’s land and has does not sustainably balancing use of the “forage”, water and space.
- A 1000-lb cow not only eats 26lbs. of forage daily but they consume as much as 30 gallons of water a day and defecate in it as well.
- Private and corporate livestock outnumber wild horses at least 100 to 1 on public lands.